Friday, January 26, 2018

Forming an Opportunity Belief


I believe that there is an opportunity at the University of Florida. The opportunity to actually enforce the campus' "No Tobacco" policy. The University says it prohibits the use of tobacco thru the use of signs around campus. Yet, despite the frequent warnings, tobacco use on campus remains as prevalent as ever. Smoke shops boardings all corners of the campus, selling tobacco products, only enhances the problem. The student body at Florida deserves to actually enjoy a tobacco free campus. It is something that they were promised, and something that they can easily receive. If all tobacco smokers, while on campus, used vaporizers or juuls instead, then the problem would be nullified. A simple conscious change while walking around the school is an easy fix.

1. 18-year-old male student

  • How many times a week do you have class in person?
    • "Three times a week."
  • Have you seen the problem of tobacco being smoked on campus rise recently?
    • "Yes, I see it daily."
  • Do you yourself smoke tobacco?
    • "I do infrequently, but I try not to." 
  • Do you think that tobacco smoked on campus is a problem for average UF students? 
    • I think a lot of students would considered it a disturbance. Especially since the campus is considered tobacco free. 
2. 18-year-old female student
  • How many times a week do you have class in person? 
    • "I have class every day."
  • Have you seen the problem of tobacco being smoked on campus rise recently?
      • "I have seen it before, but I haven't put much thought into it."
    • Do you yourself smoke tobacco?
      • "No, I would never smoke tobacco."
    • Do you think that tobacco smoked on campus is a problem for average UF students? 
      • "Yes, UF is a tobacco free campus. It would be wrong if the UFPD stood idly by and allowed tobacco to be smoked without consequence." 
    3. 22-year-old male student
    • How many times a week do you have class in person? 
      • "I have class once a week."
    • Have you seen the problem of tobacco being smoked on campus rise recently?
        • "I've never seen anyone smoking on campus, besides vapes."
      • Do you yourself smoke tobacco?
        • "Yes, I smoke about a half a pack daily."
      • Do you think that tobacco smoked on campus is a problem for average UF students? 
        • "I don't find smoking tobacco to be a problem. Maybe that's just because I smoke, but I don't do it on the way to class, or on campus ever really. 
      Reflection/Summary:
      I believe that the entirety of my original opportunity is still there. After conducting my interviews, it was the people I interviewed who had their eyes open to this opportunity. Whether thru actual enforcement of the rule by UFPD, or alternative solutions such as vaporizers, I believe this problem is easily fixable. I also realized the biggest obstacle in solving this problem is a lack of caring from the student body. If it doesn't bother the students, then the problem will never get fixed. 

      2 comments:

      1. Hi, Erik! Good job on your post and interviews. This problem is one that I definitely notice on campus! I have class every day and there are a few locations in particular that I notice everyone goes to smoke. I don't think this is a huge problem, but I do think that it's inconsiderate to the rest of us who don't smoke and disrespectful of the campus rules.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Hey Erik! Great job thinking of an opportunity. I agree that tobacco smoking on campus is an issue and it should not be happening because we are a tobacco-free campus. I don't have class everyday since I'm in the business school and most of my classes are online, but even I have seen that smoking on campus is a problem. Hopefully UFPD or an administrator will start enforcing this rule so people who aren't smokers don't have to be around it.

        ReplyDelete